I made homemade dishwasher detergent!!! You're probably asking why I would do such a thing when I can just grab a bag of those little individual dishwasher soap thingys.... Well, after talking with a friend we realized that making it ourselves was so much cheaper, used less waste and didn't have any added chemicals...BONUS, it turns out those little premade soap pods are terrible if you have a septic tank, and guess who has a septic tank? This girl!
It starts with BORAX, which to be honest I have never used before in my life.... It contains100% natural earth minerals...It's on the laundry aisle in case you need help finding it :)
Next up is Washing Soda (This is NOT the same thing as baking soda despite it's similar name and packaging). Washing soda is also all natural (limestone and salt) and a great grease fighter...Also on the laundry aisle, next to the Borax if you're lucky!
Now for the scrubba-dub-dub action... You'll want coarse kosher salt, of course...
And finally is the citric acid...this is to make your dishes smell like sunshine :)
You can find this with the canning materials at your local superstore.
No citric acid? You can use unsweetened kool-aid lemonade in the
packet!! 1/2 a packet per load when you're desperate ;)
Dump all of the ingredients into a jar with lid...I'm partial to mason jars but your choice! Now, SHAKE! Then pick your favorite scooper and use about a tablespoon or so per load.
Go to Walmart and get a jug of distilled white vinegar...This is your
rinse aid at about 2 cents a load and will make your dishes sparkle!!! You'll want to use about a tablespoon...
Nice!
How easy is this???
So... go grab the ingredients and make a batch!! It's bling-tastic and you'll love it! And while I was making this awesome stuff, here's what my amazing boy was doing....he is the best!
Dishwasher Detergent Recipe: (I prefer to double the recipe)
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Kosher Coarse Salt
1/2 cup Citric Acid
You may notice the longer it sets it may begin to clump or harden...just take a butter knife to it and then give it another good shake and you'll be back in bid'ness!
Let me know what you think!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment