You might remember from a few other posts like this I've done that about twice a year I like to document what our days are like. Things change so quickly, Atticus is growing up and we're all getting busy so I like to photo journal a week of our lives so I can look back and see what life was like at that moment in our lives...So feel free to skip these posts if they get too boring for ya!
Today was Atticus' final swim lesson. He participated in a six week class through the YMCA and I although he's not swimming by himself yet I think he is much more comfortable in the water and especially with putting his face in the water. They worked a floating, kicking, blowing bubbles, and "ice cream scoops" (freestyle stroke). This was his teacher Rachel, she was awesome! Atticus said the sun was too bright to look right at me....but at least I got a thumbs up! Way to go buddy!
After swim lessons we hit the gym. This summer with all our traveling I've gotten off my normal routine and have become pretty complacent when it comes to putting on my running shoes...So now that we're done traveling, no excuses! Back at the gym we go! I usually run on the treadmill or the machine where you run in place (don't know the official name for it, but it's awesome!). I took this picture while I was in motion, so sorry for the blur....
Now that I was hot and sweaty we had a few errands to run.... First on the list was Target. I mean, what better way to start off a Monday, really?? :) Can I get an "amen"? I was on a mission to find Atticus a big boy lunchbox that fits his actual lunchbox (the container his food goes in) - confusing, I know. Anyways, his lunchbox is a cube shape and so I needed something to fit that size rather than all the rectangle lunchboxes out there... We found one - yay! However, Atticus was more excited about the popcorn and smoothie, can you blame him?
After Target was Hobby Lobby... I'm in "birthday party planning mode" so I had a few things on my list to pick up as we get ready for his party next month. Atticus doesn't have a real good understanding of the timing of holidays yet... He knows what decorations and icons go with each holiday but can't tell you which holiday is in which month or where they fall in the calendar year... So, when we walked into Hobby Lobby today and he saw all the pumpkins, he yelled..."Yes, I've been waiting for Halloween all year!". I cracked up laughing!!! Funny kid!
Back at the ranch we ate lunch and then played puzzles before "quiet time". Aaron bought this dinosaur puzzle for Atticus on his second Christmas (which would have made him 15 months) and he couldn't understand why Atticus wouldn't play with his gift (for ages 4+). Three years later, Atticus LOVES this puzzle that Aaron got him!!!! And to be honest, it's a hard puzzle!! It even takes me a long time to put it together and I've done it a few zillion times!
Atticus is a great helper in the garden. He really enjoyed planting the seeds, watering them, watching them grow, even pulling weeds, but I think it's safe to say his favorite thing is to harvest the veggies!!! Before we started cooking dinner tonight Atticus and I made a trip to our backyard garden to see what was ready to pick....
This kid LOVES carrots!!!! A friend of mine asked me how I used our carrots in our cooking and I told her that I rarely cook with them because Atticus eats them raw!!! No complaints here!! Crazy kid :)
Before we became a vegetarian/vegan family I used to try and do "Meatless Monday" for dinner on Monday nights, but now every night is meatless and this is one of my favorites - simple and easy. For dinner tonight I made Lentil Tacos - I cooked brown and red lentils in vegetable broth, once they were done I added a can of black beans and a variety of seasonings (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, lime juice) and then put it all in the food processor and pulsed it a few times until it was all combined. Served it on warmed tortillas with homemade salsa and whatever taco toppings you like (I just add lettuce and tomatoes and it's perfect!). YUM!
After dinner Atticus helped me make muffins that we'll stash away in the freezer for breakfasts and an afternoon snack. We made Sunshine Muffins from the Happy Herbivore Abroad cookbook. This was my first time using this recipe and I think they turned out delicious (of course I had to try one warm from the oven).
RECIPE:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon zest
1 (20 oz) can of crushed pineapple, undrained
1/2 cup raw sugar
Mix together dry ingredients until combined. Add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add to greased muffin pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. When they came out of the oven I drizzled them with Lemon Curd...OMG, that seriously put them over the top!! I know the picture's not great, but they were a perfect little bite of sunshine and the tropics!

As we were getting ready for bed, Aaron said he had a surprise for Atticus for "graduating" from his swim lessons... He came around the corner with a special ice cream cake for Atticus, candles an all! We did a little dance and cheered for Atticus and THEY enjoyed a piece of cake before bed :) Atticus is blessed to have such a sweet and thoughtful daddy!! He was SO excited!
And now it's time to go to sleep..... YAY!!!!!










No comments:
Post a Comment