This week I "coincidentally" read a few things about being in hurry and always rushing our kids... I felt a little lot convicted about it and thought maybe it was God's way of telling me to slow down my pace and take time to savor the sweet moments I have with Atticus before they're gone. I know he's not even four years old yet, but these past few years seem to have happened in the blink of an eye.
I move fast, I walk fast, I make decisions fast, I like schedules, I like to be moving, going, and doing. I like to be on-time early to our commitments. Atticus is like me for the most part - he always asks "what are we doing today?" - He wants to know where we're going and who we're going to see as a result...He is definitely an extrovert and a people person. However....he moves at a slower pace than I do and I often find myself saying "hurry up".
Hurry up and put your shoes on.
Hurry up and finish your breakfast.
Hurry up and get in the car.
Hurry up and get in bed.
I hustle him throughout every minute of the day. And I find myself
losing patience with how long it takes him to clean up his toys, finish his lunch, or when we get out the door and he needs to go back inside and get ANOTHER stuffed animal.
And on and on and on.
Life is not a crisis. Why am I in such a hurry? I don't want to be the person in Atticus' life that makes him feel pressured, rushed, bullied when all he wants to do is enjoy life. Fast is not always better.
All it takes is seeing a picture of sweet little baby Atticus and then instead of "hurry up" all I want to say is "slow down". I want time to stop moving completely. I want to bottle up his precious voice so I don't ever forget the way he says "cwolor". I want to squeeze and snuggle him and keep him safe.
Hurrying means I might miss something....a laugh, a smile, a conversation that shares what's on his heart. I don't want to miss even a second of that. So, here's to reading the same books again and again and taking time to sit and relish the tender moments I have with him before they're gone. If it means being late, I'm ok with that. I am choosing to connect with Atticus and to be where he is.




No comments:
Post a Comment