Atticus has enjoyed rice cereal twice a day for almost two weeks now. He loves it! He's a total mess by the time we're done, but he loves it! We feed him Earth's Best Organic Brown Rice Cereal mixed with Gerber Organic 100% Apple Juice.

There's been a lot of buzz about certifed organic and all natural products - especially on the baby aisle. So, what are the benefits to buying organic? Glad you asked...Allow me to get on my soap box for a few minutes...
First, organic produce is grown in soil without synthetic herbicides, chemical fertilizers, pesticides or sewage sludge. Because our little ones consume (or will soon be consuming) two to four times more fruits and veggies than adults, pound for pound, they can be exposed to a higher proportion of potential contaminants in conventional produce.
Products that are organically grown and processed support sustainable, earth-friendly farming methods. Organic farms generate less pollution. And these farms employ crop rotation, composting and pest control through insects and natural substances that won't damage crops. (On a side note, if you have not seen the documentary Food, Inc, I would strongly encourage you to watch it, it will change the way you view the food you put into your body. If you have Netflix, it is available for instant viewing...watch it!)
When you are shopping, look for the USDA Certified Organic seal - this label means the product met strick standards of a comprehensive system. And if you'd like to slowly integrate organic elements into your family's diet, try the organic varieties of these 12 foods that are consistently shown to be more contaminated with pesticides than other produce (apples, bell peppers, celery, cherries, grapes, nectarines, peaches, pears, potatoes, raspberries, spinach, strawberries). Another way to ease your family into eating organic is to start by puchasing organic dairy (eggs and milk especially) and meats. Organic milk tastes SO much better, you'll never go back!
Now, I know you're probably thinking that buying organic food is too expensive...I'll agree, it is more costly than what you're used to paying, but if you care about what goes into your body and the body of your little one, then you can't afford not to buy organic...it's worth every penny!
Ok, I'll step down now.
Ok, I'll step down now.


We watched Food Inc about a month ago. It was really eye opening! I cannot tell you how many people I've told to watch...the pig scene totally freaked me out!!!
ReplyDeleteamen sista!
ReplyDelete