When it came time to choose a name for our baby boy, we knew we wanted his name to resemble his grandfather and father's name in some form... the name John. That was the easy part...then came choosing the middle name, the name by which his family and friends would call him. Aaron's full name is John Aaron, so we decided we wanted John -and then an "A" name- so after throwing around every "A" name we could think of, we have decided on Atticus...John Atticus. I'm sure you've read "To Kill A Mockingbird"at some point, haven't we all??? Then you must remember Atticus Finch. I'm a stong believer in choosing a name that has meaning, not just whatever the popular name is at the time. Atticus is a man without prejudice and racial hatred, he is good-hearted and a man of strong morals. He brings up his children the way he sees right despite what the culture may think - he looks past a man's color and looks into the depth of his character. In the beginning of the novel, Atticus tells Scout (his daughter) "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." What a strong sense of justice and fairness...basic human decency. These are all traits that we desire for our son John Atticus.
I love the name Atticus! Loved reading this book in high school... one of the few I enjoyed. Hope you are feeling great!!
ReplyDelete