I survived my first half-marathon and am now home reflecting on this past weekend and thinking about how wonderful it was! (No, I don't have my medal around my neck -- but it is hanging nearby. Haha!) The whole weekend was amazing. It was great to get away with a group of girls and have so much fun for such a good cause! From the beginning to the end, I couldn't have asked for a better weekend.
I had no idea this race was going to be such a rewarding experience. I haven't hurt this badly in a long time, but it was WELL WORTH the pain! And, despite the pain -- and the months and months of training -- I'm actually looking forward to doing another half marathon in the future or making the St. Jude half marathon a tradition.
We started the weekend off with a trip to Cupcakes on the Ridge - we needed as many carbs as we could get before the race...at least that's what we told ourselves! I got a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing!
Once we got to Memphis and picked up our packets we spent some time in the Expo Center where there were a bazillion vendors selling everything you can imagine!! They were also giving aways samples of several things - our favorites - chocolate milk and my new favorite apple, a jazz apple! They say chocolate milk is great for refueling after a long run - true or not, I was sold! I haven't had chocolate milk in probably ten years, it was sooooo good!
That night we were guests of Jamie, third from the left, at the St. Jude pasta party. She raised $2000 for St. Jude Children's Hospital and was able to bring her teammates with her to the exclusive dinner. Thanks Jamie!
The dinner honored those that went above and beyond in their fundraising. It was very emotional - they had a mother who had lost her daughter to cancer speak about her story and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Seeing some of the things I saw this weekend and hearing the stories of such amazing children that battled such an awful disease reminded me how truly blessed I am that God has given me such a wonderful and healthy family and a great group of friends.
Ok....It's RACE DAY!!
Timing chips on our shoes... check!
Headbands and bibs secure...check!
Lined up in our corral...check!
Finishing the race...PRICELESS!!
I finished the race in 2:48. I said from the beginning I was just running to finish, not in a specific time, but just to cross the finish line. However, around mile 3 I told myself I wanted to try and finish in 2:45...well, I almost got there. I had to stop to pee twice and of course walked a little when I needed to. All in all, I don't think it's an awful time for my first half-marathon. And yes, I look like pretty rough in this picture, but it was taken as I was crossing the finish line...so I have an excuse!!! My mind was on the big glass of chocolate milk I was getting ready to have :)
When I crossed the finish line the woman who put the medal around my neck said "thank you for making a difference in the life of a St. Jude child" - OMG, I cried the rest of the way through the chute!!! After the race we went back to the hotel and napped for several hours and then went out and celebrated that night at Texas de Brazil...yum!!!
Me and Jamie
Me, Jennifer, Laura and Jamie
Me and Jennifer
We stayed at the Peabody, it was gorgeous, especially with all the Christmas lights!!
And of course, I had to snap a few pictures of the famous Peabody ducks!!!
This was truly an amazing weekend that I'll never forget. Wanna run with me next year?
Save the date: December 3, 2011
















No comments:
Post a Comment