Atticus woke up on Christmas Eve morning acting very weak and lethargic, he didn't have any color in his face and he could hardly keep his head up or his eyes open. It was very scary and he wasn't responding to anything we did. We immediately got in the car and went to the ER. You might think we're first time parents overreacting, but there wasn't a doubt in either of our minds that a trip to the hospital was necessary. I held Atticus in my arms on the drive there (don't turn me in!) but we sat in the back seat and I was doing my best to keep him awake. After about an hour in the hospital Atticus started to feel better and was beginning to act more like himself. His color was a little better but he was still really warm. Isn't this little face so sad??
The doctor checked him and told us that he had double ear infections as well as a sinus infection (his first time for both). They aren't exactly sure what was going on earlier in the morning because he wasn't doing it while we were there, but they think it might have been a small seizure associated with his infection and fever. Pretty scary stuff. They sent us home with an antibiotic and instructions to give him lots of fluids.
While we waited on the doctor Atticus discovered the box of tissues and began pulling them all out of the box and throwing them up in the air...I could tell he was starting to feel better :)
Once we got home he had a bath, ate some lunch and went to bed. He hadn't had any breakfast and he didn't get his morning nap so he was hungry and tired. He rested well and when he woke up he seemed like he was back to his perfect little self!
Our friends David and Dee Dee stopped by to give Atticus a present - he loved it and hasn't stopped playing with it since he opened it. I wondered how long it would take before Atticus ended up with a DRUM!!
We also opened stockings on Christmas Eve - Atticus got a few new books and some socks :) Aaron got a CD and some candy, and I got a 13.1 sticker for my car...YAY! (I also got the same sticker from Laura, guess that means I've got to run another half-marathon...we'll see).
Atticus slept well over night - Aaron however did not... He was too worried about him so he stayed up all night and went in and checked on Atticus every 30 minutes - I'm not kidding, every 30 minutes. He's such a good Daddy (luckily he had 24 hours of A Christmas Story to keep him awake). Atticus got up without any incident and seemed to be feeling much better. We had a casual breakfast at home - Atticus enjoyed his breakfast by the window watching the leaves blowing around (he loves leaves!!!).
After breakfast we opened presents...Santa came to visit us!!
I'm pretty sure Atticus had more fun with the wrapping and tissue paper. He got some cute clothes, lots of books, and some fun new toys!!!
Since it was just the three of us for Christmas this year I made a small, but tasty lunch for us - Sundried Tomato and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken, a medley of carrots and parsnips with fresh dill, garlic green beans, and an almond pear and plum puffed pastry...YUMMO!
After lunch and a nap we played outside and collected leaves. We were definitely feeling better!!!
Aaron and I got a crazy hair and decided we would get Chinese food for dinner on Christmas Night!!! I think it was all those episodes of A Christmas Story he watched last night :) I was actually surprised at how full the restaurant was, although I really hoped the staff would break into a chorus of "Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra Rahhhh Ra Ra Ra Ra"
It was a wonderful Christmas with Aaron and Atticus - first time being just the three of us, but I feel blessed beyond words!! So thankful our little man is feeling better - thank you Lord for answering our prayers!
I'm so thankful Christ was born!!
HIS birth = our rebirth!
Merry Christmas from our family to yours!!
























I'm so glad he's ok - what a scary day for you.
ReplyDelete