Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day!


I was actually born on Labor Day in 1977...I used to always joke about how my mom was "in" labor on Labor Day, I thought that was pretty ironic. Now, as someone who could go into labor herself anytime in the next few weeks, I'm starting to think that everyday should be Labor Day. If going through nine months of carrying around a growing baby in your belly isn't hard enough, then you get to deliver the baby!! Now that is laborious (or so I've heard)! Americans have been celebrating Labor Day since 1894 when President Grover Cleveland stepped in and declared the strike of thousands of workers illegal. The strike was broken, but so was the spirit of the workers. To reach out to the labor movement, Congress rushed the national holiday into law. The bad will resulted in Cleveland losing re-election, but the day off for hot dogs endures.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment