Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday Tidbits

Not much has been going on around here this week other than getting caught up from being out of town...which means laundry and cleaning house...fun times!  One of the highlights of our day is going out to the garden to see what's new since the day before....this was today's harvest!! Yummy cukes and squash :)
I've been trying to use as much of what the garden produces in recipes as I can...This was honestly one of the yummiest things I've eaten in a long time - and it included veggies and herbs grown from our garden and it was enjoyed around the dinner table with my sweet and precious family...doesn't get much better than that!!

In case you're interested: This "recipe" is one I created....I took some flavors that I know we love and used what was fresh from my garden and viola! But here's the general idea (FYI -I don't measure anything...) The base of the dish is tabbouleh (bulgur wheat). I buy it in bulk but you just boil it in water or veggie broth until done and then drain. Then I mixed it together with a few drizzles of olive oil, ground pepper, chopped fresh dill, mint and arugula. Next I added the juice of 2 limes, chopped green onions, sliced radishes, shaved carrots, diced avocados, chopped cucumbers and diced fresh peaches (let all that cool together in the frig for about an hour). For the shrimp, I seasoned them with Pampered Chef Buffalo Rub and broiled them in the oven for about 8-10 minutes and then tossed them with a buffalo sauce and honey mixture. Absolutely delish!!!!
We've been spending a lot of time in the backyard - believe it or not, it's actually not too hot right now (I know it won't last long as we approach July and August but we're gonna enjoy it while we can)... Atticus was playing with the water toys and I was pulling weeds and all of a sudden he walked up to me very slowly and stuck this bright green lizard in my face!!!  He was SO proud of himself...I was proud of him too....How does a three year old catch a lizard?!?!?! He asked if we could keep it and sadly I told him no.
I mean, honestly, does it get much cuter than this???  Love this kid, even when he's driving me nuts!! 
We had another "first" this week....I took Atticus to the movie theater for the first time!!!  OMG, he thought it was the absolute best thing ever!  He wasn't quite sure why all the lights were turned off, but as soon as the movie started he didn't seem bothered by it...I think the popcorn helped too :)
My sweet friend Tara (from my Florida days back at Bethel) and her kiddos Matthew and Grace joined us for the movie.  The boys are just a few weeks apart and have a really good time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment