I took an awesome vegan cooking class this weekend and it was the perfect combination of technique and creativity. A local organic restaurant owner (and Furman graduate) taught the four hour course on Furman campus in their new test kitchen which was absolutely amazing! There were 8 participants in the class and we each had our own work station complete with cutting board and cutlery. The focus of the class was dinner entrees - we learned how to make a basic cream sauce (without milk and butter) and made everything from scratch pie crusts to chocolate cupcakes! Here was our "southern Sunday afternoon dinner"
Rainbow Chard has always been one of those cruciferous veggies that I knew was incredibely good for me but I was always intimidated by...It is so beautiful and full of color but I honestly had no idea how to cook it... Now, having learned this method I am totally planting this in my garden! It's not quite as vibrant once it cooks down, but mighty tasty!
"Chicken Pot Pie" (showing my love of vegan cooking)...We used tofu instead of the chicken and learned this easy technique to brown the tofu and make it crispy on the outside. This is also where the cream sauce came into play - yum!
Apple Carrot Casserole: The easiest side dish ever and so full of flavor! This will definitely be on my Thanksgiving table this year but I think I'll add a little crumble on top made from pecans and oats...that will definitely make it look a little prettier :)
Who doesn't love a crumbly but moist cornbread muffin?!?! No eggs, no butter and they were the perfect companion to our Country Vegetable Soup!
When you think of comfort food, chocolate is typically at the top of this list....and to know that as someone that doesn't eat dairy products I don't have to miss out on this little piece of heaven is a true comfort!! These were insanely delicious and I'm kind of worried that I have this recipe now because I see a lot of vegan cupcakes in my future :)
Tons of fun, so glad I did it!
And then I came home to this precious little face!









No comments:
Post a Comment