Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Today is two weeks since my visit to the Emergency Room for some blood pressure issues.  Earlier that week my blood pressure was higher than normal so I kept an eye on it but it just kept going up.  After lots of blood work, an overnight stay in the hospital and an echo-cardiogram, I've made some drastic changes to my eating habits...which to be honest, I didn't think were off kilter too badly.  We are very thankful that all of those tests came back well within normal range.  However, following my doctors orders I have cut out caffeine and salt from my diet - - the caffeine hasn't been a problem, but there is salt in everything!  I have become a "label-reader" for sure!!!  Even "low-sodium" choices have more salt in them than I prefer...so we've been cooking at home for every meal so I can control what exactly is going into my body.  Aaron and I have both done a lot of reading and research about hyper-tension and creating a better, healthier body...

For the past two weeks WE (Aaron is being super supportive and making these healthier choices with me) have cut out all meat (except fish), all dairy, and are strictly eating a plant-based diet...I feel GREAT!  I didn't know I was feeling bad until I realized how great I am feeling now!! We are exercising more, even exercising TOGETHER which we never did before - Atticus likes it because that means he gets to go for a ride in the bike trailer!   Aaron has lost 14 pounds and I've lost 7 (that's so not fair!).  Our goal right now is to continue eating plant-based until my blood pressure goes down without the use of medicine (I'm on a small daily dose right now, but my doctor thinks I'll be able to get off of it within a few months with the diet and exercise regime we are following)...I would really like to continue with this new LIFESTYLE as long as possible...

My typical day in meals has looked something like this:

BREAKFAST - Cup of Decaf Coffee with Almond Milk / Steel Cut Oats with Almond or Coconut Milk topped with Craisins, Flax Seeds and Toasted Almonds.

LUNCH -  Two slices of Ezekiel Bread (this stuff is amazing!!!) toasted with a spoonful of Hummus and an Avocado on top and a Fruit Smoothie (assorted berries, bananas, almond/coconut milk, and agave nectar)

SNACK - I made some yummy muffins with squash, carrots, pumpkin, oats and craisins...they are perfect for an afternoon snack or breakfast option.

DINNER - We've made some surprisingly delicious meals that don't involve any salt, dairy or meat!!! We've made all sorts of stir-fried veggies with udon noodles (including a Pad Thai variation with almond butter and coconut milk), bean and barley soup, roasted veggies over polenta, and my personal favorite, pumpkin, black bean, and sweet potato chili!!

I'll keep you posted on how my blood pressure is doing and the progress we're making with our new healthy habits :)  We gotta stay healthy for this little guy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment